Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Frustration...

All I want to do right now is run. Like have a really good run, where I feel energetic, and my legs want to work right, and I have fun. I haven't had an enjoyable run since June 12th. I remember how I went into that weekend feeling so fantatic, seeing super fast splits, and being really proud about my progress. Then that next Tuesday my shins starting hurting, and they still haven't yet recovered. Since then I've only had fleeting moments where running is enjoyable.

I've been good about giving myself extra rest days and icing my legs, but they still ache. First it was my right shin giving me trouble. Now it's my left. I just feel defeated. Like there is this goal I really want to achieve, and I'm willing to put a lot of work towards it, but my body is rebelling against me and not letting me do it.

I know this is to be expected. I went from not running at all during the winter or spring to running 20 miles a week in June. I know aches and pains are going to be normal when you put your body through that kind of change. I know I need to be patient and understanding towards my body, but I hate being discouraged and feeling like I'm never going to be able to complete this half in August.  I've felt like giving up during runs lately, almost like I should be proud I tried, but running after all is just not for me-- and I hate that. I hate having energy left over at the end of my workouts, feeling like my body can do more if my legs only let it. And I really hate having to take extra rest days to allow for recovery when all I want to do is run.

Any advice??

1 comment:

  1. Oh, girl. I am Shin Splints QUEEN. Unfortunately. Actually just got back from about a two-week hiatus, post-Ragnar (which YES, you should do one day). You'll recover, but yes, be patient. Rest. Three times a day ice your shins for 15 minutes, followed by massaging your shins and calves (either by hand or with a foam roller or The Stick). Do this for several days. When you get back out there, take it easy -- start with a slow pace -- and see how they feel. Mine were good as new after the break and rehab, but it's always a constant battle to keep them at bay. You'll be fine! :)

    ReplyDelete